Monday, October 28, 2013

Through the Eyes of the Fan...

I was recently contacted by a longtime Oakland Raiders fan who informed me that he saw Guy numerous times during his illustrious fourteen-year career, including Super Bowl 18. I had asked David Winderbaum if he could share a story or two about Guy, and what stood out to him the most during his NFL tenure. He went on to say this:

'What always amazed me about Ray, was that during warm-ups, his punts actually reached the level of the stadium roof. This man was a weapon. What actually amazed me was that in many games the Raiders actually would play for the punt, pinning their opposition inside the 10. I remember him being the emergency quarterback versus the Steelers and contributing towards an upset win! I had the opportunity to meet Al Davis in 1984 at Soldier field, and Al shared with me that he thought Ray was the most influential player for the Raiders during the 70's'.

It was great to hear from a die-hard fan willing to share his stories, and I hope this will finally get to be the year I make the trip to Canton to see him elected into Pro Football Hall of Fame's immortality.